Monday, May 14, 2007

Austin DANGER Powers

The truck was probably 25 yrs. old. It had that faded red paint that is content staying on the truck or leaving with you when brush against. As I turned left in front of this old beast of a vehicle I took a glance in the cab, and saw a rare sight in this day and time. The truck had four passengers in the front seat. I saw "dad" driving with three boys sitting in a row right next to him. "Dad's" arm was around the closest boy... perhaps offering a little added security since they probably were not all buckled up as is the law in our safe, little part of the world. I began to have that warm and fuzzy feeling that comes when a mind begins it's stroll down memory lane.

Any time I rode with my dad in his truck I sat in the back. Not the "crew cab" back, but the "bed" back. The only exception was during heavy rain or extreme cold. During these rare instances I would often chose to stay home rather than endure the sheer boredom of riding in the cab. No wind in my hair, sand pelting my face, or bugs in my teeth. Just too safe for me. I need to, at least, feel like I'm livin' on the edge. Life just seems so much better there. You know, that hyper-awareness that you can only experience there.

As I mentioned earlier, we live in a safe, little part of the world where the powers that be are always worried about our safety and taking steps to ever improve the safety rating. Buckle up, wear a helmet, brush your teeth, lock the door, and the list goes on and on. I know these things start with the best of intentions and I by no means support reckless abandon, but how does one gain courage and confidence without first facing a little danger and fear? Then everyone is surprised when individuals start going to extremes just to get a little adrenaline rush or feel the wind rushing through their hair. Jack-Ass anyone? I know a kid who played with a little gasoline and fire out in the country just for some kicks and giggles and was arrested with charges of terrorism threatened. We used to be able to blow off a little steam and have a little fun, but most of what we did would be considered too dangerous now!

I think the same thing has happened in our churches. Well intentioned people and leaders began offering new guidelines to help others. There are definitely some concrete do's and don'ts when following Christ, but there is also a lot of gray. These gray areas often are close to the dark areas or can easily lead one into the dark. Things like dancing. Other than the fact that I'm incapable of doing it, I don't know of anything wrong with dancing. However it can easily lead one into lust if done a certain way, so let's just say not to do it. I could list many more examples, but I think my point is clear. They put an "arm" around us for a little extra security. I guess we can't expect Jesus to handle it all on His own.

What used to be a trail through an exciting wilderness has become a nice wide path of decorative pavers with a fence that allows you to see the wilderness beyond but keeps a safe distance between you and it...a zoo. Most even come complete with a very informative tour guide to supply all the facts and stories of the thrills and spills others had before, when it was so dangerous and untamed, so that you don't have to chance getting scrapped and bruised the way they did. We can even gather together in safe places with people who are as concerned with being safe as we are. We have been protected to the point of boredom and laziness, but we have not been scarred up. To most of us livin' on the edge for Christ means we may upset a friend who won't talk to us for awhile...scary, huh.

I think it's time for a little Jack-Ass style Christianity... too the extreme so to speak! Don't just get out of your comfort zone, get out there at the edge where your mind is screaming, "too dangerous, too dangerous, I'm scared" but your heart is screaming even louder, "I'm scared but, too exciting, too exciting!" You'll experience that hyper-awareness...feel with more strength, see with more clarity, have a greater understanding. Simply put, you'll live the life more abundant. You may get a few bumps and bruises, bugs in your teeth, or even lasting scars...but scars make for great stories. Oh yeah, buckle up, it will definitely be a bumpy ride!

4 comments:

In the Den said...

Rock on!

Now that you mention it, I think it's just about time for another scary ride.

Anonymous said...

So now that I can blog anonymously...when shall we do lunch? Also, on a side note I enjoyed your blog very much

tammi said...

Wasn't there a sequel to Austin Powers??

I think we need a sequel to your blog.

Have you fallen off the planet?? Where aaarrrrrrrrreeeee you???

Clint said...

Sorry Tammi,
Not off the planet...been in Peru. Sensory overload right now! I'll have plenty to say shortly.