Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mind Numbing Poverty

I'm sitting in my living room which is literally the size of 2 of the homes of the kids we met in Lima, Peru and I can't process this information. Should I feel blessed or guilty? One room out of 9 or so, not including bathrooms or closets, in my home is twice the size of their entire home! Does everyone in Lima live this way? No, but there are literally thousands that do just in Lima not to mention around the world. Even here at home...not on the same scale but there are people living here in very similar conditions. Why do I feel so concerned for the people of Lima and not my neighbors here? That bothers me a little. All my day to day concerns seem so trivial compared to whether or not they will have just one meal a day. I've noticed several people blogging about green living and our environmental footprint. Not to down play our responsibility of being good stewards, but it's laughable to me that we live in a society of such excess that are main concern is what to do with our trash and other waste while these people are using the rocks off the ground to hold the tin down on their roofs and whatever scrap material they can find to patch holes in their homes. At the end of our trip we were given 3 different scenarios that we would find ourselves in once we returned home. 1) We would return and be so disgusted with our society that we would withdraw from it. I must admit I could easily do this. I have loner type tendencies anyway. 2) We would return and merge right back into society completely unchanged. I don't think this is me, and pray that it won't be me... ever! 3) We would return and take what we had experienced and use it to better our home and the world for Christ. This is what I want to do, but like I said I'm still struggling with processing it all right now. I've said a lot to not say much but I'm just trying to get my mind around it all and though this might help. Any thoughts, words of encouragement, or suggestions would be appreciated.

7 comments:

In the Den said...

Great post!

It is sad that often our concerns are so trivial in comparison to the daily needs of others not-so-far from us. We need to do something (about people as well as the earth). I think we don't DO because we don't take the time to KNOW.

When I KNOW someone who is hungry, I give them food. When I KNOW someone who is barefoot, I give them shoes. When I KNOW someone who has no place to go, I open my doors.

But, I rarely do because I rarely know. Does that make since?

Clint said...

Makes perfect sense,In the Den! Taking the time to KNOW would require effort and a little less SELF. Where would it fit in my schedule? Maybe, as a friend suggested, instead of trying to fit this into my schedule I should make it the priority and schedule my life around it. Sorry for the cliche,but...WWJD?

Anonymous said...

did you just WWJD? No way..not you! Great post..good thoughts

Clint said...

Did that just for you, Steve.

Anonymous said...

Thanks...love the world of fun cliche! Have you read your book at all? If so, are you enjoying it?

Clint said...

Steve

Finished, enjoyed, and slightly conflicted...

let's get together and talk about it soon.

Anonymous said...

I am in...I will be leaving town on Thursday and will be gone about a week and a half...we could try to meet these next two days...let me know if either work for you...otherwise it will have to be when I get back...I may I applaud you for being a very fast reader...very proud