Friday, September 29, 2006

Intentions

An acquaintance of mine was killed in a car wreck last night. I didn't know him very well and had only spoken to him in passing. He was a young man not much older than me with a family. I've heard that he had some "plans" to help make a difference in peoples lives. I don't know what those plans were, but others do and I could find out if I so wanted. Anyway I say all of this because it made me start to think about what my "legacy" would be if I was the one killed in a car wreck? What would others say about me after the funeral (only positive thoughts are given at the funeral)? Would it be that I was a nice guy that got along with everyone and didn't cause too many waves? Yuk!! Don't get me wrong I want to get along with as many people as possible, but leaders always cause waves. Just like the bow of a boat creates an ever increasing wake as it moves forward. Will I be remembered as the guy with great intentions (a dreamer) with no follow through? I think so. If I were dead in the next instant I think that is my legacy. Intentions are great, dreams are too, but ACTION counts. Action requires courage and faith. Maybe that's why I don't want to be the dreamer without action-it's a sign of cowardice! I am many things, but a coward I am not, and I don't want my legacy to indicate, on any level, to the contrary. I hope I have enough time left to prove my case! If not, know that I am working towards action. I don't have it all figured out yet, but I'm trying.

No comments: